Barcode technology has become an important part of enterprise asset management, particularly when it comes to employee management. As a result, current versions of EAM software integrate barcode technology heavily to improve performance. The benefits include increased work performance visibility, improved employee accountability, lowered maintenance costs, and enhanced customer relationships.
How to Achieve the Benefits of EAM Barcode Systems
Barcoding assets does take some effort, but the best approach is to add barcodes as the asset is maintained, since the technician or mechanic is already investing time to locate the asset. Barcodes are fairly inexpensive to print and the barcode format can be taken from your EAM, so there is not a large financial burden if you follow this method. In many cases, your EAM vendor can print the barcodes for you, saving both time and money.
What Benefits Should I Expect?
- Reduction or elimination of error as barcodes provide exact asset identification before maintenance or repair work is performed.
- Go 100% paperless to save transcription time, while maintaining complete records with less error.
- Increase work performance visibility with live updates on work progress.
- Improve employee accountability with certifiable time stamps as work begins and when work is completed.
- Document maintenance or repairs by taking pictures as work progresses.
- Enhanced customer relationships as you can prove the performance of your team.
- Due to the low cost of implementation, there is a quick return on investment (ROI).
Integrating barcode technology with your EAM is one of the least costly ways to improve employee efficiency and document performance.